Tuesday, October 15, 2013

I'm back!

I know it's been awhile since I've last posted (let's be honest, it's been months), but I want to get back into the swing of things now that I finally have students again!

But I just wanted to give everyone a little background on my teaching situation so that they understand why some of the material that I'll be posting in geared toward a smaller class and may not work in every classroom.

I just entered my last year as a student!  In less than a year I'll have real classroom in my own and I can't wait!! As part of the program I'm in, I have to spend 30 weeks in a classroom by the end of the quarter.  To fulfill this requirement I teach Geometry to the local alternative school for an hour 4 days a week. Two of these days I teach the whole period myself, and the other two days I share teaching responsibilities with one of my classmates.

Like I mentioned this is an alternative school setting so for some reason or another the students in my class don't work well in a traditional classroom setting. This means that many of my lessons are focused hands on activities and group learning.  Sometimes I have to trick my students into learning by presenting practice problems in the form of games so that they can get repetition and practice.

This all being said, I'll be sure to start posting some resources and worksheets that I use.

If you have any questions about my teaching situations or have any advice for me, please leave a comment!  I would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment